Thursday, June 5, 2008

Why Do Bad Things Happen To Good People?

This is a question that I ask myself all the time. I really wonder what God is thinking when bad things happen to other believers. Back in the day before I rededicated my life to Him, I would have been convinced that bad things happened to good people as a form of punishment for not living up to God's super-sky-high standards.
So, why is it that believers struggle with things such as losing a close family member to tragedy, getting robbed, not getting the job they were obviously qualified for, being overwhelmed with debt, divorce....the list could go on forever. It used to drive me crazy when "goody-two-shoes Christians" would throw this verse around: "For I know the plans I have for you, says the Lord; plans to prosper and not to harm you, plans to give you a future and a hope." Jeremiah 29:11
I guess my mind couldn't wrap itself around the concept that a loving Father would allow such things to take place in the life of one of his so-called precious children.
So, perhaps it's a test. Maybe, just maybe, our Heavenly Father DOES know what he is doing in such instances. His main objective could be that He wants to see how we will respond. I know I've definitely failed a time or two in what I felt was a test situation. The one thing I did learn, though, was how to draw strength from Him. He WANTS us to lean on His shoulder, cry in His lap, and even praise Him in our storms.
Another way to view these situations is this: I believe that God makes His point during tough times. I have to always ask myself after the fact---did I do everything in my God-given power to keep this from happening? I have a checklist in my mind that I run through. I want to make sure that I didn't miss a thing--that way I can rest assured that it was simply a "refining fire moment" and I just need to rest in His arms and in the knowledge that He is still the captain of my ship.
Here are some things I want to point out that are from my checklist. I believe they will answer a lot of the "whys."
1. Did I pray faithfully to my Father? Not just when I felt like it or when I thought He'd step down from His mighty throne to come to make all things go the way I want them to go.
2. Did I cover myself, my family, and my friends with that blanket of prayer?
3. Do I seek and keep on seeking? Knock and keep on knocking?
4. Have I heard from my Father lately? Have I taken the time to listen to what it is He is saying about my life, plans, future, etc?
5. Have I read the Bible and studied enough? Or do I just pick up that dusty Book when I need something specific and actually try to find the answer in the pages without the direction of the Holy Spirit?
6. Do I speak negatively or positively about myself, those in authority, or those people God has placed in my life?
7. Do I really believe He works all things for my good and not my harm? Am I secretly angry with God? Have I asked for forgiveness for doubting Him in tough times?
8. Do I wallow in my self-pity or do I stand up, put on the full Armour of God, and press onward?
9. Do I really trust my Father???
If I am honest with myself and I can answer all of these questions, then I have no other choice but to lay it all at His feet and believe He is in control. He has yet to crash my ship of life--I've done that plenty on my own. Do I always understand why bad things happen to good people? No. I don't know that I will ever know either. But you know what? That's ok.
I'll leave this post with this verse:
"The God of glory will secure your passage. Then when you pray, God will answer. You'll call out for help and I'll say, 'Here I am'." Isaiah 58:11-The Message Bible

0 comments: